|Alternative 1 provides for …|
• 2,860 acres
• Ridgeline of Saddleback Mountain and The Horn
• The western “saddle bowl”
• The southeastern slopes of Saddleback Mountain
• A large area surrounding Eddy Pond
Reserved Rights (ski area) within the Protective Corridor:
Potential Capacity of Saddleback Ski Area:
• 8 ski lifts
• 50 ski trails
• Capacity of 5,000 skiers at one time
Anticipated Environmental Consequences:
• Would protect the existing undeveloped viewshed and natural character of the Appalachian Trail across Saddleback Mountain.
• Would protect alpine natural communities on Saddleback Mountain.
• Would protect subalpine spruce-fir forest and breeding habitat for Bicknell’s thrush.
• Would maintain the remote recreational opportunities along the Appalachian Trail.
• Disturbance of high-elevation soils and vegetation would be minimized.
Anticipated Economic Consequences:
• Ski area could expand capacity to 5,000 skiers at one time (four times current capacity).
• Would result in additional visitor expenditures of approximately $6.85 million during a ten-year phase-in period.
• Would increase employment at the ski area by 168 FTEs (full-time equivalents) and create another 49 FTEs in other employment sectors of Franklin County.