Bergamot Trailplace  
An Appalachian Trail
Resource Website

Go Back   Trailplace Forums > Trail Talk > General Trail Talk
Register Photos FAQ Members List Calendar Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2009, 05:54 PM

Default Bounce box?

Howdy all, I have a question that needs to be addressed sometime in the next 86 days. What do most of you put in your bounce boxes? So far, I have my beard trimmer, nail clippers, extra meds ( in case a mail drop is late or lost), alternate staff headpieces, flashlight batteries, matches and shoestrings. I was also considering putting in the chargers for my phone and camera, but I was not sure if two batteries each would get me from one place to the next. Does anybody else have a camera that uses a rechargable battery? How long did it last on a charge? Do most Thru'ers bounce the box to every maildrop location, or would every other one work? My wife just asked me the other day about the bounce box, and I realized that I had not given it much thought or attention as of yet. Any info aprreciated in advance, Wiloby, aka R.A.Wizard, class of 2010.

" Nobody Knows The Trudgin I've Seen "

Last edited by Wiloby; 12-15-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:34 PM

As I read this a couple of thoughts come to mind....

How many maildrops will you be useing?
If it was me I wouldn't start out with a bounce box. I know alot of people don't make it out of Ga.

The matches and the shoe laces can be found at gas stations/stores on your resupply schedule.
The nail clippers I would carry for trimming or to use as tweezers to get a splinter out.
The flashlight batteries.. are they a special type? If not just pick some up at a store.
The staff pieces could maybe be put in a mail drop.
That would leave you carrying the chargers and meds,...but that would save shipping cost.
The beard you can get trimmed in Damascus if you want. Or Franklin, Hot Springs, Erwin...etc
Old 12-15-2009, 10:58 PM

i didn't use a bounce box on my thru. some of the things you mentioned -- batteries, nail clippers, razor, soap -- i just carried with me.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:11 PM

i keep going back and forth. would be nice to stock up on special foods i like in towns with a better selection or have lighter warm weather gear to swap as needed...but then there's having to make sure i arrive during post office hours and that they're also open once i'm done adding/using/switching things out. I'm thinking it may be easiest just to shop along the trail and have family mail drop anything i truly need but can't get to the nearest town. Worst case I have to have them overnight a package and i spend an extra day or two in town. For me, I think it would be an excuse to buy and try to cary more luxury items I don't really need and what I think I'll need now may change drastically when i see what others are using and how it works for them.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:34 AM

Default Bounce box

Dmax, all good points. Figuring on 13 maildrops. On the first point, I hope after all this planning and miles of practice hiking that I at least make it out of Ga. I was thinking of not sending out the bounce box until the 3rd or 4th drop, if I pack right and don't bring anything extra. The matches are the waterproof kind and probably won't be found at very many gas stations( I'm 55 and have never seen them at one yet) The shoelaces, I already have and sometimes it's hard to find the right length heavy duty laces that fit my boots (maybe at an outfitter), but they could be put in one of the other drops . I just thought that buying the batteries in bulk at someplace like Odd Lots would be better than buying in a 4 pack at a carry out for three times the price. I have tweezers in my first aid kit and only plan on trimming my nails as needed ( every month or two ). I will be carrying a two week supply of my meds, but my wife will be sending me a fresh supply in each maildrop. I was just worried that if a maildrop got lost, I'd be out of meds and That Would End My Hike, at least until new meds could arrive. I can not hike without my asthma meds. The beard trimmer, yea, I could ditch that, but figured if I was using a bounce box, why not put it in? I guess some of these things could be in the regular drop boxes, and skip the rest, that's why I asked the question in the first place. Also, I guess the cost of shipping the bounce box might make up for the difference in price for batteries and such. ShelleyLynn, I know what you mean. My food boxes contain just what you said, some favorite foods that will not be available along the trail, the rest will be eating "what's on the menu" of the town or grocery that I'm in. I'm still trying to find a balance of what goes in my pack and what I don't need every day to save weight and space. I just thought that most folks used bounce boxes, I'll just have to re-think if I really need one or not. Thanks, and keep the info coming. R.A.W.

" Nobody Knows The Trudgin I've Seen"
Old 12-16-2009, 08:49 AM

Thumbs up

As JimHalpert said he did not use a bounce box at all. Many people do not and once again like everything it is a personal choice. I never started out using one and had not really planned to do so on my thru hike.

I did have about 10 or 12 mail drops scheduled, which were approximately 1 week or 10 days apart in my planning. However, I soon discovered I had extra food, and at times I had items I would not expect to be using for the next week, so I would send it ahead to the next mail drop.

I used the bounce box mostly in the north, since the year I hiked the weather was warmer than normal, and after listening to weeks weather forecast, I would send some of my warmer clothes ahead. At one point, I decided to go without cooking at all and sent my stove ahead of me for a couple of weeks, along with my water filter, since I was not using it.

If I did not use the item for a week or expect to need it, I would send it home, give it away or throw it away. However, some items and food if I thought I may use them in a week or so, I would bounce ahead of me so as not to carry them. It all depends on the individual. However, I would recommend not to start out using a bounce box at all, at each mail drop you can decide if you wish to bounce some things ahead or send them home if not needed.

Good Luck and once you are on the trail for a couple of weeks you will know what you need and use and those things you do not need.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:54 AM

Wiloby- it's a good idea to carry 3-5 days of extra meds for the "just in case," keep them in a small ziploc bag inside your first-aid kit. Then you know you have them as back up until your regular resupply arrives.

rechargeable camera batteries- it all depends on how often you replay the pic, size of the preview window, all cameras are different.

At night I take the batteries out of the camera and keep it inside my sleeping bag. Remove the batt from your cell phone until you need to use it. Keeping the batts warm will extend their charge.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:54 AM

How much does a bounce box cost; is weight a factor in the cost? Seems to me may not be worth the money.

I used maildrops because I dehydrated my own food and bought some in bulk at stores like Sam's, because I didn't want to eat the processed crap nor did I want to eat candy bars, wanted something a little more nutritious. And of course the maps. But don't go overboard in buying food, rice/pasta is cheap in towns.

As for bouncing matches I found that waterproof matches are not really waterproof, more like water resistant. I carried a couple lighters, one as a back-up and batteries I bought in town -- dollar stores are great for little things like this. I also carried a shoelaces and actually had to use them because something ate them when I left my shoes in my vestibule. After that I used my general purpose line I carried as spare laces. Beard trimmer is too much of a luxury to consider.

P.S. I use rechargeable batteries at home, but on the trail I just use regulars because rechargeables are too much trouble. Also I found that some things, like my camera stop operating because of "dead" batteries, but the batteries are not really dead they just can't support operating the camera in full mode, but they can operate other things. I also used the "dead" batteries to sort through pics at night to delete mistakes then put in the good batteries to take pics.

http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0302506

Last edited by john gault; 12-16-2009 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:07 AM

Wow, you guys have just about talked me out of it. I think I'll weigh the chargers and a couple of the other items, make sure that I have room for them and see about not using a bounce box at all. Never Alone , I'm trying not to put too much food in the mail drops to avoid having to carry extra or give away/toss out too much food. Rabbit, yea, 5 extra days of meds won't weigh that much. I like your idea of keeping the batteries warm! Great input,Thanks, R.A.W.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:46 AM

if you start your hike using a bounce box you can always stop using it if you decide it's not necessary. Or if you start w/o it you can always start using one if you find you need it.

I use the Priority Flat Rate boxes from the USPS for all of my mail drops. As long as I don't open the box it can be forwarded to the next town at no additional charge.